Tuesday, March 23, 2010

LeLong Longings

Sorry for being scarce lately: I've been a bit too preoccupied with various things (including my birthday tomorrow [if you knew how old I actually am going to be, you'd see why this is preoccupying me!!] and another neat bit of vintage-related news that I cannot reveal just yet) to sit down and construct a coherent post.  Anyway, I felt so inspired while browsing one of my birthday presents, which is the book Lucien Lelong by Jacqueline Demornex that I thought I'd share a few images.  Lucien Lelong was one of the most important fashion and parfume designers of the 20s and 30s in France, but if you've never heard of him, you are not alone.  Demornex's point in her book is that, while Chanel has been immortalized, Lelong has sort of disappeared into obscurity.  It's a shame, really, because his creations are DIVINE (my favourite is that gorgeous gal in the white hat and striped dress, which is the book's cover image as well, though you may notice I've just taken that second to last image as my new profile image. Very baronial)!! Side-note: most of those bathing suits shown in my earlier Hoyningen-Hune post were Lelong designs!!
















queens 8

Tee hee...how did THAT get in here?  This is one of my most cherished dresses.  While it doesn't have a Lelong label in it, I am certain it was inspired by Lelong's designs.

9 comments:

Francy said...

Happy early birthday! And you're right, I've never heard of Lelong. I will have to read up on him, because I love these photos!

Miss Go Lightly said...

You fit right in with the rest of these elegantly dressed gals ;) I too have never heard of Lelong, must read up on him too :) Happy early birthday dahling!!

Brittany_Va-VoomVintage said...

Happy Birthday, doll! I was scrolling down through all of those stunning images and I looked at the last one and though "wow, that looks just like....oh, it IS her!" *lol*
http://vavoomvintage.blogspot.com/

Carys said...

Wow, I didn't even realise that photo of you wasn't one of those other vintage photos! Your dress is amazing, and these photos are beautiful.
From Carys of La Ville Inconnue

Haleigh said...

baroness! Where do you come across all these amazing photos? I may never know your secret but I am sure glad you share them here for us...

xoxo Bardot in Blue
http://bardotinblue.com

PS i put your blog banner on my sidebar with a link to you! Check it out :-D

Maggi said...

How fabulous! Have a great birthday!

BaronessVonVintage said...

Thanks for the early birthday wishes and kind words on my dress. Lelong needs to be revisited for sure.

Haleigh: THANKS! I really should be more meticulous of citing sources of images. I got them off the internet, mostly.

garofit said...

Happy birthday! I too love the stripe dress...and all of the others! Thank you for such a wonderful blog and sharing things there are very much my taste. I am following a few vintage blogs, but this is my favorite!

BaronessVonVintage said...

so glad you found me, garofit (and so glad I now found your blog, too!)